Ten things to get you to create!
1) Create a space for yourself to create in, it has really helped me to have a constant space for me to leave everything out so I can just start again whenever I feel like it. Setting up and tidying up just gets in the way!
2) If you have children, paint with them, I don’t do this all of the time that would be too exhausting! but sometimes it is great fun, the other day I gave our two children their first lesson in printmaking we did some mono prints, using the plastic lids from takeaway containers, using water soluble oil paint.
3) Carry a small sketch book with you everywhere you go, I don’t but wish I did!
4) Get your partner to force you to create a set amount of time every day, penalties for not creating should be severe! James did this for me by himself and it was the only thing that got me to do art again in a real way! It worked I made art every day even when it really was the last thing I felt like! Now I don’t do it everyday but I did for several months and made enough work to open our secret gallery, thank you James! It also got me back into thinking about art and thinking more creatively everyday. Sometimes it is too hard to do it on your own.
5) Make a piece of art for someone you care about.
6) Collaborate with someone, it can be a relief to take the focus off you!
7) Try to make bad art!
8) Be childish and play and make yourself laugh while you create, you might not even notice you have made art!
9) Recycle something into art. The other day James suggested I turn my classic leather motorbike one piece suit into art, I had put it on for a joke and really hurt my back just picking up something like a sock! He thought I should not wear it anymore, as it had some negative energy. So I started painting words on it to hopefully transform it into something positive and healing, like Peace and strong Woman.
10) Think, have you ever regretted making art?! I can think of many things that are a waste of time but, being creative is always worth while!